Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Right and Wrong...

Thanks for an informative reply.

There are several points I'd like to raise.

Regarding my question about morality and belief in God, yes, I deliberately wrote the question that way, to illustrate the difference between "belief" (religion is true) and "belief in belief" (religion is good for people). In past experience I have found that it can be hard to know which of these is being discussed!

The idea of Natural Law is not an unreasonable one, but the term itself sounds too much like there is something "written" somewhere, whereas much of it could be emergent.

Regarding the issue of where "Natural Law" comes from, I am interested in how a theist who believes in God deals with the issue of the presence of moral behaviour in other species. We see clear evidence of such behaviour many more complex animals, such as apes, cetaceans and elephants. Such "moral" behaviour is just what one would predict using evolutionary theory.

As Darwin showed, "design" can be an illusion (or at least unnecessary as an explanation).

I am happy to discuss this further, or we could move on to another topic.

No comments: