Tuesday, March 25, 2008

More Faith...

I'm not attempting to prove Einstein was religious, or monotheistic, or even deistic. All I'm saying is that I think he believed there were questions, important questions, that science does not answer.

I suspect so.

But I do think you are correct. Most Christians believe they have proof.

Yes, that is just what I thought. My view is that the ones who really have the most "faith" are the theologians, who have thought about the question of the existence of God in great detail, and perhaps all realise, as the theologian Denys Turner puts it - "in the end it all comes down to faith".

I think they look at the world around them, and feel that no matter how much knowledge man possesses, there will always be questions they believe cannot be answered.

Of course (I would say), the correct response to that is to leave the questions unanswered.

(As a side issue, I can't help but wonder what my wife's reaction would be if I demanded my children be subjected to a paternity test. Or what my parents' reaction would be if I ask them to prove they were actually related to me. Good questions to consider, perhaps, when we get around to discussing "blind faith.")

That is a very good point! It does, however, act as a kind of shield for religious belief. If this matter was of great importance, it could be tested. I believe that when people say (for example) "God hates fags", then it is appropriate to test the God idea - to run the "paternity test" for the Universe!

No comments: