Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Right and Wrong: a small digression

There is much ground to be covered on this subject.

But before continuing on, though, I'd like to go back to something you said I found to be quite interesting. That is:

"[I] don't think that there are actions that are intrinsically morally right or morally wrong, because I don't believe there is any absolute way to measure intrinsic rightness or wrongness."

I don't want to put words in your mouth, but you seem to be saying that you "don't believe in [x] because [x] can't be measured."

Is it your view, then, that emotions like happiness, loneliness, and peace, concepts like dignity, liberty, and beauty do not exist, because there is no "absolute way to measure" them? I'm not trying to be facetious here. I'm trying to understand your point of view.

Are you saying that, unless a thing can be quantifiably measured, you do not acknowledge its existence?

No comments: