Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Right and wrong, a digression, continued further

I think you're the first person I've come across who compared the notion of happiness with the color red. Then again, we're probably not reading the same books ;-)

Probably not! Have you read any Paul Churchland, or Daniel Dennett? :)

When you say "They [beauty, happiness] are words we use to express what we experience in our brains," it seems to me you've made a point about language, not happiness.

Actually, no. I am talking about what happens in our brains to generate the feelings.

I would also submit that the very idea of color is, itself, a concept

Sure, but just because there is a concept, this does not mean that anything "real" exists. There is no "essence of red".

My question is this: How does the fact that our brains have some correspondence to our perceptions have any bearing on the existence of anything, as you put it, "as an independent concept?"

No, it doesn't. But we have to be wary of assuming that because we have perceptions that there is anything external and real behind them. The example of phantom limbs comes to mind, when people experience sensation in limbs that are no longer there.

In a sense, we live in a "phantom world". All we have are experiences in the brain.

Hopefully, I'm not being too pedantic in my reply.

Not at all!

No comments: