Friday, March 7, 2008

Right and wrong - agreeing to disagree

Great! I can work with that. I think it needs a little unpacking, though. So let's break it down:

"I believe that those acts are wrong by the[se] standards..."

What you've said makes perfect sense to me: 1) you believe some things are wrong, and 2) what leads you to this belief is not arbitrary, pulled out of thin air, or invented for the sake of your own convenience, but is based on some sort of standard or standards.

This is the very same view I hold as do many, if not most, Christians.

Continuing on, you explain what these standards are: 1) what you have "learned and understood," 2) in combination with your "conscience", and 3) your ability to "empathize."

Steve, this is pretty much the same process a Christian uses to answer questions of morality.

Listen, my "critical battery level" warning for my laptop is beeping at me to recharge, so I need to wrap this up.

Do you have any questions for me?

No comments: